Sunday, March 21, 2010

The big pig adventure....


Well Cat and I went to an auction this morning, but there really wasn't much there so we decided to swing by a pig farm and look at some piglets on the way back home.


LOOK being the operative word. Cat LOOKED and is going back next week to get her piglet which will be weaned by then. I announced, "I'm not leaving here without a little pig today" and I chose from 4 that were ready to go.


I picked out my little pink pig and "Bubba" (yes, his name), grabbed said piglet by her leg and walked towards the trailer carrying her out to his side. WAYYYY out to his side. Cat and I looked at each other and shrugged. We assumed that was the proper way to carry a pig. We both know less about pigs than we do our jerseys.


Got Penelope home and immediately into the tub. As I'm scrubbing her nasty little behind, I see her spots MOVING. LICE - covered wit LICE. I mean COVERED with hundreds, maybe even thousands, of big hairy lice.


Well this sent me into a frenzy trying to call "Bubba" to see what I can use on this piglet to kill these bugs NOW. Bubba didn't answer. Lol - I figure he knew they were eaten up with lice which is why he carried it to the trailer the way he did in the first place.


I calmed down long enough to realize that I have the internet now and could just look lice treatment up myself. I thought briefly of getting on the KFC 911 but figured that would get me into trouble, especially after the whole, 'my castrated calf looks icky back there' bit.


Anyway, Penelope is resting comfortably in the tub right now wrapped in a big, fluffy, chemically sprayed towel. I'm waiting for the livestock spray to kill the lice and carefully watching her skin in case of any reaction to the spray.


I am also ITCHING all over. Bubba wasn't nice enough to give me a heads-up on the bug situation, so I carried Penelope into the house, hugged up close so I could calm her. Fortunately, I put her directly into the tub to bath her, so I discovered the lice right away. She is INFESTED times 10.


Now, I must admit that I am just a tad put out with Bubba. While I know this is a pig, HE knew I was going to take her into my house, bath her and dress her up cute for some 'first' pics. LOL - While Cat was asking, "at what age should I butcher the pig?", I'm asking, "what kind of shampoo should I use?".


Anyway - will be posting a pic soon. It's of her still in the tub, still wrapped in said nice, fluffy towel while I have a glass of wine (it was that or peanut butter) to calm my itchy nerves!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment